Tuesday, March 12, 2019

But Wasn't He

In the Distance I could hear the roar of my phone. It became louder and louder as the voices in the room began to disappear. There was only one reason they would be calling. It had to be because of him. I immediately had a fear come over me. This time, may just be the last time.

As I called her back my fears were confirmed. As we traveled to the Hospital the tears rolled down my face. So many memories began to run through my mind. My teenage years babysitting. So many nights spent with the three siblings.  So many blessings that I found myself treasuring each one of them.

As we entered the Hospital, I feared the worst. I couldn't see anything but the pain in my heart. There was no room for any other thoughts. As  I neared the doorway, my heart felt as if it dropped and I began to cry. I couldn't understand! What, why was all this happening?

A heavy heart began to ease and I found myself breathing again. It was him and he wasn't gasping as I had feared. He was talking, very strong and loudly. I could hear him outside the door. I was in awe.

As we entered the room it was proof that the voice I heard was his. He sat on the bed, stretched out, hooked up to machines with his bible in his hand.  Of the 38 years that I had watched him grow, I had never saw him through the same eyes that I saw him through on this day.

He was a man of God and on this day he was a Teacher of what God had to say. We spent hours together that day. His voice was so powerful, believable and carried hope with each word spoken. It was easy to look beyond the breathing machines. It was as if he had a story to get out before he left this world and God was on his side. He mesmerized us all!

As he and I talked later, we discussed where God was that day. I smiled and told him, "He was in the room with you!" He then asked me why I thought that. As I slowly processed what he was asking me, a big smile came over my face. "But wasn't He? Kyle's body was starting to reject his lungs but God in all his glory found a way to let Kyle be a faithful servant that day. He preached all about God's word to so many different people who walked into that room. He was ready to go home. Even after all he had been through during his lifetime, he was still so excited at the thought of seeing God. Kyle would say, "If I lead only one person to God, then my work is done!" He inspired many, including me!

Kyle James Harwell
Kyle Harwell   August 6, 1980 to March 3, 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment