Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Sons gift to me

Through the years my son and I have had many trying moments. I have learned to pick my battles. Steven has ADD (attention deficit disorder) and because of this fact he is extremely smart but he is also very impulsive and very sensitive. A lesson learned for me of how I have touched his heart came one year for mothers day. We were broke and had no money other than for the basics. Steven was not working. He was about seventeen and he always knew that mothers day for me was hard without my mother. So one day when I came home he asked me to sit down at the table with him, he had a mothers day gift for me. Surprised and curious, I sit down and patiently looked into his loving face. He pulled out seventeen different size rocks and began explaining to me that each rock represented him and his relationship to me in his life. The small rocks represented the first five years of his life and how I taught him about loving and respecting each other even on days when he may not have earned my love or respect. I had protected him and he always knew that he was safe and protected as long as I was close by. The next five years were represented by the next set of rocks which slowly grew and they were all about the trials of learning how to handle relationships in a young persons life and reminding him that God was always a part of his life even during those times when he again did not think that he deserved love and respect. Now, as we grew into the next seven years with the bigger rocks telling how the bigger problems in life evolved he began to tell me how his struggles always came back to what is it that mom would say. He learned to answer his own problems with his own thoughts on how he saw life. He may no always make the right decisions, however, he always will try to remember that he is a part of me, his grandmother and himself. He reminded me that he was young but he was also a young man that was going to be just fine. He had a basis for all of life's many questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment